As you know, we have been working hard to publish a real book in room 114. This is a far different experience than the published stories we have been working on, because we all had to work together to not only pick a theme for our book, but also to corroborate with the physical pages of our books (one child's illustration is the back of another child's poem). Here is a little photo essay of how the process worked:
We started by sharing ideas about what we wanted the theme of the book to be. There were lots of ideas, but our favorite was the poetry about ourselves idea!
This was the pattern we used to help us get started with our poems. This type of poem is called "Diamante" which sounds a little like the diamond shape the poem takes when written.
We worked hard on brainstorming lists of words to help. This poem helped us learn about nouns, verbs, and adjectives. This is one of the lists we came up with.
Next, we wrote our first draft in our journal. As you can see from this example, we didn't worry about getting everything right at first. We focused on getting our ideas down and then we worked on it some more!
Here is the same poem, after the first revision. Looking like a diamond, all right!
Our next step was to practice writing our poems on the book paper. After writing them, each child met with Mrs. Rycus to have a final revision. Those red marks helped us know what to correct. We want out published work to be perfect!
Here you can see how hard Truman worked to copy his poem on the book paper.
A lot of kids were really looking forward to the illustrating! We had to do rough drafts of our pictures, too!
Finally the day came when we got to do our final drafts! We used our rough copies to help us first with the words, then with the pictures. We had to make sure we had the right page numbers for our pictures and our poems.
There are lots more pictures of this process over the last two weeks inn our photo gallery. Be sure to check them out, and stay tuned for our final product...coming soon!